Wednesday 22 February 2017

A Slight Spanner in the Works

Hi!

Well I'm back from my holiday and have been trying to start up my Orky project but have hit a slight snag. I've rummaged out some of the new style GW plastic Orks to try out some painting tests but am not loving the miniatures at all.

Maybe I'm being ridiculous but I just can't warm to the style that GW have developed.

Blood Axe Kommando

A couple of years ago I painted up this Kommando which was great fun but the over muscled and mindlessly angry greenskin apes that are currently available just don't have that slightly comedic whimsy that the first and second edition sculpts had. 

Initially this seemed to be a major problem that would stump my hopes of an Orky force but I went back to the drawing board. Literally.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and sculpt my own gubbins! I've sculpted Orks in 15mm and SD scale before but wanted to go for something in between with a rather cartoony style but a bit chunkier than my previous efforts.

I'm quite pleased with the results and have just about finished my test sculpt which I am going to have a bash at casting in resin so I can actually put a decent sized force together.

 Goff Nobz, Painboy and Mekaniak 

I must admit that it's been really great fun to get back into drawing and sculpting and not to stress about work or indeed disliking someone else's sculpting style when it comes to painting the final figure and it's proving to be a very successful way of dealing with the stresses of the dreaded Real Life too!

 Ork Nobz and Mega Armour 

I'm hoping to have some progress to show on the sculpting front in the coming week but the temptation to start playing around with concepts has been rather strong so I suspect I may get slightly distracted by developing concepts for my own take on some of the other forces...

Marine Captain and Dreadnaught

With a bit of work, the Ork concept piece will be finished by the weekend and I'll try and get some pics taken then but in the meantime, All the best!

7 comments:

  1. With your sculpting talents they'll no doubt turn out ace!

    The concept drawings are really cool Richard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look brilliant, cant wait to see how they turn out!.

      Delete
  2. Ooooooh! So great! I love those concepts!! Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see what you do now O.O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a big fan of your sculpts and artwork, I am looking forward to see your orc miniatures. What a great project! Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like style you're developing. Has hints of Colin MacNeil and Jamie Hewlett vibe, a sort of detailed but playful abstraction :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those concepts are really good, i can't wait to see your sculpts : )

    ReplyDelete